Pages

Saturday, January 7, 2012

A New day, a Better Run......

My whine-fest is over. I'm done feeling pitty for myself. Yesterday's post was just horrible. I reread it this morning and was going to delete it, but Char had already commented on it. So I just sucked it up. Thanks and sorry for those of you who read it..... Moving on now....

As I mentioned yesterday, today I had planned running 15 miles with Jen. She is training for the RnR DC marathon. I had mentioned to her the rough week of running that I had and that I wasn't sure if I would run even 5 miles with her. She was cool with it and said just do whatever. She was just happy to get some company for her run.
I ended up meeting her at her 1 mile mark which wasn't far from my house. I was out and about early so I had done a warm up run before I met up with her. She had mapped it out so that half way through her 15 mile run she would run by her house so she could refuel and take a bathroom break. I figured at that point if I was still with her, I could decide if I was going to bail on her or keep on going. Jen runs at a slower pace than I do. I tend to kill myself and run at a 7min mile pace every time I run, but she runs at a comfortable 9min mile pace. As I ran with her I felt real good. My left leg did not hurt once! It was a real easy pace for me. It was actually slow at times, but it was exactly what I needed. By the time we looped around and was back by her house, I felt really good and decided to keep on going. She picked up her dog Mya and we were on on our way.
The second half of our run went through streets I had not been through in years! It was a tough run, I'm not going to lie. It really pushed me (mentally) to places I've never been and I could never imagine being by myself. By mile 13 (of her 15) talking was at a minimum at it was a push towards the end. I was an awesome run.

Even though today's run was a really good run for me, I'm going to take it easy the next couple of days. I totally understand that my body needs the rest. I'm not running tomorrow. I'm going to make a rest day.... and maybe do the same on Monday. All I know is that I needed today's run. It was a real moral booster for me.
_

In other news, I ended up updating the drivers for my Garmin (thanks Jamoosh) from 2.0 to 2.4. We'll see if that helps my computer from blue screening.
_

Hope you all have a great weekend!!!

2 comments:

Char said...

I'm so glad you had a better run. It's good to back off and take it easy for the long ones. I'm hoping your good running karma rubs off on me :)

The Unexpected Runner said...

There are good runs and bad runs. It's OK. Sometimes the bad runs are a wake up call to listen to your body and switch it up a bit. Sounds like backing off on the speed is what your body craved right now. You are doing the right thing. Hang in there?