Pages

Monday, January 2, 2012

My first volunteer assignment....

In my goal to get a time waved entry to the Boston Marathon, I started off the year doing my first volunteering at the Freezer Five. I was nervous and didn't know what to expect. I felt like a kid at a new school or like someone that just started their first job ever. I was a volunteer virgin :) .... but luckily for me, the first person I met was Joe, one of the race directors and honestly one of the nicest people I have ever met in my life. He was just so down to earth and kept thanking me for helping out. I nerves were immediately calmed after talking with him. He walked me around and introduced me to the rest of the crew then game me my first job:

He gave this role of tickets and a Sharpie and told me to start numbering them from 1 through 300. This is a small low key race so no timing chips were used. So you guessed it, my second job was to stand at the finish line and give every runner a ticket as they came across. It wasn't a bad gig. It was kinda fun actually. I got to congratulate EVERY runner as they came up to me. I dont think I ever said "Good Job" or "Great Run" so much in my whole life! The funny part was seeing just about every one struggle to grab this 1"x2" piece of paper from me after running five miles.... I joked with some of them saying that this was the hardest part of the race! LOL

I think I gained 5 points towards my goal. I'm not exactly sure how many points I need to earn the time waived entry. I think they take top 15 or so people at the end of the year. The link in their site is down at this very moment so I can't confirm.

It was an awesome experience and I can't wait for the next one!!

3 comments:

Char said...

I've volunteered at a couple of events and quite frankly I suck! One time I had to let people run around a park twice and then send them out onto the road but the problem was that they didn't have to run around the park fully on the second lap and I wanted them to do two full laps. OCD maybe?

adena said...

I love volunteering at races! way to go!

Jim ... 50after40 said...

Thanks for volunteering! I've really got to do that soon.