Pages

Thursday, February 27, 2014

#beardtoboston

Picture by: Photos by  Suzette


#beardtoboston - I haven't really mentioned it much here on my blog. Not sure why. I guess because I wasn't sure where I was going with this yet. As some of you might remember, last year when I ran Boston, I did the whole beard thing.  It was fun, but that only lasted 4 months. The longest I have gone without shaving at that point.

When I found out in July of 2013 that we would get to run Boston again in 2014, I thought to myself, could I do it again? Could I handle 10 months without shaving! I wasn't sure if I could do it so I didn't really mention it. But I gave it a shot to see how far I could go before it drove me crazy!! Jokingly I called it Beard to Boston at one point and it kinda just stuck. It has now become my theme to my running Boston. Even my workplace picked it up as part of project they are working on to get people excited about having one of their own run Boston. Very exciting!

The maintenance on of this beard is a little too much at  times. I wake up in the mornings, it's all over my place. I have to wet it and brush it to tame it. I can't tell you the last time I used shampoo and conditioner before the beard, but it's a nightly routine now. I even use a beard balm to give it body and shine.... don't judge me. It at the very least, needs to look presentable.

So eight months into it and about fifty something days away from Boston, the beard is still going strong. It's been through a 10k, a couple of 5Ks, two marathons, a half and this weekend it will be at a 30k.

At Hyaniss Half - Picture taken by my friend Monica


Even the cold doesn't stop it!! 
Picture by my friend Joanna


#beardtoboston  
Keep an eye out for it. It will be easy to spot come marathon day!! 
Cheer me on as I cross that finish line on Boylston St!!

--

And Jim (http://50after40.blogspot.com/)....I know you plan on running Boston in 2015, how about a #beardtoboston2015 ?? I can just hear Michael now..... LOL





6 comments:

Char said...

Ha ha ha. That last picture is gold! I'm warming to the beard. (Bet you never thought you'd hear me say that.)

Ty @tyruns.blogspot said...

Is your wife raedy to shave it off in your sleep ???

Anonymous said...

I'm on the other side. I've had a beard for the last 30+ years, and if I complete my first marathon this fall (Portland in October), I am going to shave it and the mustache off.

Jim ... 50after40 said...

Dude, if I could grow a manly beard like that thing, I would totally be down! But sadly, mine would guitar strings hanging off of my face - thin and wiry, and about 6 hairs total! Plus, THAT would probably be the final straw in the ol' marriage. But that thing of yours is a monster!

Anonymous said...

I wonder how many seconds per mile you will be faster once you shave it off after Boston...

Michael said...

Jose, I can see that you are I need to have a talk. LOL...please don't egg on the beard thing around here :)

PS did you see the Runners World photos of Icy Facial Hair? I tried to tag you in the post..but don't think it worked. Your pics were far better than anything they posted!