Pages

Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Treadmill Runs = Blah!!!

On a recent business trip to our NYC office, I did something I had only done 2 other times in my life. Run on a treadmill. Now this only happened because I was stuck at the hotel and there was a snow storm going on that day. I was soo unprepared for this.



First of all, I had no shorts. I was prepared to run outside, all I had was my winter gear. I ended up using one of my t-shirts, but I had to run in my long tights. Then I couldn't figure out how to turn the damn thing on! I had to call someone in facilities to help me out. How embarrassing! Luckily for me, it was the power to the outlet that had been shut off. What a relief... LOL

Once I got it going I decided on the hill work outs. I started out at about a 9:30min pace slowly increasing the pace til I got it to about a 7min pace. Man was I sweatin'!!! The room being in the basement of the hotel with no ventilation didn't help things either. It was balmy in there. 
The workout was set for 45 mins. This was the LONGEST 45 mins of my entire life!! Holy Moses! Minutes felt like hours! This workout wouldn't end! I was almost positive that the timer had stopped at some point when I wasn't looking. ha!.... It sucked, but I got it done. I really don't want to do again anytime soon!

The day after while in NYC, I did get to run outside. Made my way through Times Square then to Central Park. I got about eight miles in. It was awesome! If it were not for work, I could have probably done my long run that day :)

A quick snap shot while in Times Square


I really gives kudos to anyone who runs on treadmills on a regular basis. People call me badass for running in the cold weather, but no way!! Badass is the person that can run mile after mile on that dreaded machine. Good for them!!! But it's NOT for me! 

How do you guys do it????


Give me the minus degree temps, or the hot and humid days of summer, give me cars and give me traffic.... the streets is where I belong!!!


-


Til next time!!! Have a great week everyone!









4 comments:

Jim ... 50after40 said...

I agree, I would MUCH rather run outside below zero, the problem has been the snow piles sitting around this winter that make it impossible. I find that not only is the treadmill boring, I just don't think it prepares you the same way as the road. Great pic of running in NYC - that's really cool!

Char said...

Me too. I don't think I'd ever have a weather excuse to run inside thank goodness cause I don't think I could do it. And yet running outside - well, the time just seems to fly.

Nicole said...

Way to get it done. I do not really enjoy the TM either but find myself there more often when the little one are with me. I have never been able to get past the 10k mark on the mill though and hope I never have to!

Anonymous said...

totally agree....but with the frigid temps sometimes it's needed. Sadly I can't go more than 2 miles without wanting to cry, LOL!