Pages

Friday, September 21, 2012

Faster or slower with age?

I was reading Jeff's post over at Detroit Runner and he hit on a topic which crosses my mind from time to time.

I started running at the age of 34. I never ran in my life before this. I did my first 5k race the day after I ran 3 miles without stopping for the first time. This was probably 3 yrs ago. I came in shy under 28mins. The fastest I have ever run at that point in my life.

As time past, I noticed that my 5k times where slowly but surely getting faster. It was the same with my 10k and my halfs. My first half, I came in at 1:44 and my latest one was at 1:36. I know a lot of it due to dedication and training. But I am 38 now, creeping on 39. Will I get faster? When will I hit that plateau?  When will I start to see a decline in speed? I feel right now that I am at my peak. I really can't imagine myself getting much faster than where I am now. Then again, I couldn't imagine myself running a 5k in 20:33 three years ago.



Do some runners get faster as the age? I guess time will tell. Any thoughts on this?


4 comments:

Michelle Dragoo said...

As I push towards 40 I have found in this last year of true training I have gotten a little faster. I have also realized that effort trumps speed...so don't stress too much about the numbers!

Char said...

I ran my best half marathon when I was 45 BUT I hadn't really ever trained very hard before. There does come a point when your body starts to slow but with good training you can slow down the inevitable.

Pam said...

I've wondered this same thing. I'm only 32 and didn't start running until 3 years ago. I'm not fast at all now, but I wonder how much faster I'll be able to get before age slows me back down.

Detroit Runner(Jeff) said...

Jose - I'm guessing you're PR for the half is near the top already but I think there's always room for improvement. Good luck chasing those PR's.